Friday, September 26, 2008

My Tipping Point and the Crash

This week I crashed. I crashed hard. From traveling to reports to day and night jobs, I lost control of what I was doing and how I was doing it.

Things were slipping through the cracks, attention spans were short and wifey was not too happy.

So what did I do?
I slept. I was in bed every night this week by10pm, stupid early for an entrepreneur in a 24/7 world. It really got me thinking as well on my own balance on life, work, family, clients and friends.

What did I find?

  • Your to-do list in a start-up never shrinks. Crossing one thing off, leads to 3 things being added.
  • Your contacts, friends, Tweets and Feeds will be there in the morning. So will an argument about not getting off your ass and saying hi when your wife gets home.
  • Going to sleep early means missing some awesome shows that you don't have time to watch anyway. This week missed Heroes, the Office, One Tree Hill (guilty pleasure) and caught Entourage a few days late
  • Monster's are expensive. $2.99 a pop at 7/11 down here
What's next
  • Remembering to Remember the Milk. I got away from using the service when Basecamp came into play, yet their simple to-do lists are well worth keeping in my Chrome tabs
  • Remember to take a breather. Even amidst all the hype of launching sites, preparing proposals and all that good stuff, getting the hot heat from your MacBook off your lap for a few minutes probably helps more than it hurts.
  • I need to hit the gym, or kickboxing classes. Just can't find a good instructor that doesn't teach the girly kickboxing dance class.
I read 2 Tweets from Jun Loayza the other day:


I know that building a buzz and getting your product are keys to making things tick in the Web 2.0 Social Media world, but are they really necessary? Sometimes I think so. I know the importance of an all nighter and I know the importance of a good night's rest.

Setting up your life and business to work when you are in la la land, is a new important step that I am working on and really recommend for all you starving artists, musicians and Gen-Y entrepreneurs.

What do you think? What is your tipping point?

-Greg Rollett

(photo by Sailing "Footprints: Real to Reel" (Ronn ashore))(oh and that's not me in the photo)

0 comments:

Recent Posts

I just claimed my blog on Viralogy.com - #77

ypblogs.com

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP