Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Professionalism on Myspace

Myspace is awesome, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest Myspace fan there is, and spend way too much time logged in looking for new business and new fans. I have a pretty big friend base and am known as a booker, artist, manager, marketer, friend and more. I receive my fair share of emails asking for my help, whether it be for booking, to get a free beat, or for some help promoting their band or business.

Most of these are done in mass email formats and that's okay with me. I use mass emails for some of my promotions as well. What bothers me is an email that I received last night. It went something like this:

"Hey G-Ro, this is "manager x" an i represent superstar "artist y" I need you to book my artist a show for $"x", with paid hotel and travel. My artist is going to be big and I'll get you a cut. Hook me up man, I got you, ya feel me!"


So.........getting 3-5 of these a day is awesome. I usually get a little nosy and check out their artist's page and see what they have going on. Usually it's the worst 3-4 songs I have ever heard, have pictures that were taken with a sidekick camera phone, the titles of the songs are "holler at a gangster, biaaatch!" and they have absolutely no show experience. Then i check out so called "manager x's" page. In not one sentence on this page does it even mention that he is in the music business, has no contact information listed and has pictures of himself in his boxers drunk at a frat party!

Needless to say, they will not be getting a show from myself. Sometimes I forward the message on to other booking agents, but most of the time they get a nice and respectful 'no' response.

The point that I'm trying to make is that even though Myspace is geared towards our generation, the generation of smiley faces, camera phones, Meebo, text messaging and slang like lol and rofl, when sending a business email, send it professionally, especially if you do not personally know the person whom you are contacting. You want to grab the attention in a positive light so they eventually do put you in their blackberry or sidekick!

Do your research as well. It's common sense but if you read my page and knew about my events, you would know that I book rock bands at bars and indie hip-hop groups for charity shows. Country singers and Crunk music need not apply. Not to say that I dislike the music, but it's not my business. By reading someone's page you can get a lot of info, usually enough to start up a conversation that leads to a great networking connection and ultimately getting you one step closer to making your music a business reality.

So keep sending your emails, but treat it as a business and we'll be here to help you out in any way that we can.

A little side note is that this blog will no longer be solely on Music Marketing, but marketing in general. I have had amazing offers to market business opportunities, real estate agencies, clothing companies, small offices and the such, and thought that the same guerrilla and internet marketing tactics that work for bands can work in the real world. Starting now, Rollett Marketing is now "Outside the Box Marketing for the Millennial Generation."


All of our packages will be up and running by weeks end and expect a sneak peak at my new e-book, 'Myspace Band Fund' this weekend! Free chapters will be given away in a first come, first serve basis!

Qoute of the day from Akon and DJ Khalid, "We taking over, one city at a time!"

-G-Ro

0 comments:

Recent Posts

I just claimed my blog on Viralogy.com - #77

ypblogs.com

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP