Wednesday, July 2, 2008

9 Steps to Kick Ass Productivity

image by orangeacid

This week I have really buckled down and got things done. With more start-ups than I can count, new clients, plus a 9-5, it's really time to get down to business. With the holiday weekend coming even closer, I know that I need to get as much done by the end of today, because let's face it, no matter how much of my life is work, I'm still 25 and have a 3- (4ish) day weekend approaching.

So, what has been the key to kicking ass and making things happen?

Glad you asked, here's how I did it.

1. Remember the Milk - a Godsend. If you are not using RTM, at least use some sort of task manager. Recently I have really been taking advantage of noting times for completion and getting sent little Instant Message reminders to my phone when they are creeping up. Also, note the cool color features that help prioritize your tasks and make them stand out amongst the ah-not-supa-important tasks.

2. Not using e-mail like AIM - This has been huge. I was the dude who returned e-mails faster than you could send them. Not anymore. GMail is now checked in the morning, at lunch and 2 times at night. This clears up so many things and my time effectiveness has improved 10-fold.

3. Twhirl. Yea, so I am kinda old school and used Twitter on the web. I don't know why, I guess I was used to it. Now I am using a combination of Flock and Twhirl. I say both, well, because in the world that is Twitter, sometimes things don't work great. This keeps my browser free from having another tab open.

4. Less RSS. I'm still adding 5 or so Feeds a week, but I am also getting rid of sites that don't update or give any value my work. I have chopped out all the lifestyle blogs and even some of the new music blogs. The less time I spend in RSS land sifting through crap, the more time I can give to my clients.

5. Better RSS. Going along with the last point, I am really trying to learn things in my feeds. I want to engage in conversations and get better at what I do. If you can prove to me that you can teach me something, well then, you're good to go.

6. iMeem - Sometimes the iMeem playlists just put me in a groove and I can zone and and GTD. (Even when they are corny pop-punk tracks)

7. Seeing results. Nothing makes you work harder than seeing the results of your hard work. Seeing sites begin to develop, traffic show up for good posts and media attention for some of your clients always makes your day flow better.

8. Having goals. At the end of this week I have goals that I wish to attain, whether they be traffic, new users, new advertisers, pages written in this eBook that is looming over my head, or whatever. I think having an ending to celebrate makes me kick ass in the process.

9. AM Workouts. Over the weekend I was in Miami. I saw my dad for the first time in a few months and one of the first things out of his mouth was, "boy, look at you putting on a little pudge." Man, that sucked. So far, 2 days on the exercise machine and 1 day jogging with Mylie. Results, no pounds shed, but damn am I focused and energized. Even better, no energy drinks or Mountain Dew all week. That alone is kick ass productivity!

Alright, back to work. Before I go, I wanted to get your tips on how you maintain "Kiss Ass Productivity" day-in-day-out? Thanks guys!

(Related jamblr post: My Web Tool Kit)

-Greg Rollett

0 comments:

Recent Posts

I just claimed my blog on Viralogy.com - #77

ypblogs.com

  © Blogger template 'Isfahan' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP